It is important to educate our global community about the facts related to suicide in order to spread awareness and work to prevent it in the future.
In the United States:
- A person dies by suicide every 13.7 minutes, claiming more than 38,000 lives each year.
- It is estimated that an attempt is made every minute; with close to one million people attempting suicide annually.
- Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S. among adults 18-65, and the second leading cause of death among teens and young adults.
- Suicide is currently the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
- A person dies by suicide every 13.7 minutes in the U.S.
- Every day approximately 105 Americans take their own life.
- There are an estimated 8-25 attempted suicides for every suicide death.
- The suicide rate among U.S. military members rose sharply in 2012, with an average of one suicide per day.
- Ninety percent of all people who die by suicide have a diagnosable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.
On college campuses:
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for college students.